Quarantine days have caused us to have dinners in and my mom has been busy making some of our favorite Mexican dishes she used to make when we were younger. These recipes are super simple and always flavorful! We love love love these classic Mexican dishes and today we want to share an easy Caldo de Pollo! Basically, a yummy chicken soup you can make for anything! It’s warm, full of veggies and just the perfect meal when your in a pinch for time or maybe you’re not sure what to make. Just throw everything into a huge pot and let it cook!
- 1 whole chicken cut into medium chunks (bone-in) or 4 skinless chicken breasts (for a cleaner, less fatty soup)
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1/4 yellow or white onion, large slices
- 3 zucchinis cut into chunks
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled, washed, cut into chunks
- 4 medium carrots, peeled, washed, and cut into chunks
- 3 husks of corn, peel, cut into 4 pieces each
- 1/2 cup Knorr chicken flavor bouillon (the powder, not the cubes)
- 1 tsp pepper
- Optional – 2/3 cup of uncooked white rice
Garnishes – Lemon or lime Avocado slices Tapatio sauce Warmed corn tortillas
- Fill large pot 1/2 full of water. Place on a burner set to high and drop in peeled garlic, onion and chicken and let boil while stirring occasionally. Reduce to medium heat, 15-20 minutes.
- Drop in carrots, stir, let simmer 5 minutes. Drop in the rest of the veggies (and the optional rice if you like)
- Pour in the chicken bouillon and pepper. Stir, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to med/low and let simmer until all veggies are soft to the touch and chicken is cooked through. About 20-25 minutes.
- Tips: Taste test after 15 minutes. Add more bouillon and/or pepper to your liking. Be careful not to make it too salty.
garnish with avocado slices, sprinkle lemon or lime and tapatio, (our favorite hot sauce)
Eat with warm tortillas…PROVECHO!
Let us know if you try this super yummy recipe! We love to share these and we hope you enjoy them, xoxo!